Monday, April 6, 2009

Update 4.4.2009 - And so it begins

The journey begins,

The first two weeks have been passed like two seconds. This has been due to a schedule that is packed with a lot of stuff. For example; after arriving in Bucharest, I was picked up from the Airport. Banesa is a really cute airport ^^. I moved into an apartment for 2 days and having discussions. I met my team. They seem very nice. Next morning, we went off to the national congress 2009 of AIESEC in Romania.

People say that the journey is the goal. I certainly know tat the trip there and back again was one of the Highlights. It took us 8 hours to get there (300km). All our luggage was on top of a car (apart from my guitar) secured only by loosely tightened rubber straps and a hammock (Haengematte, I am not sure of how to spell this). Beldy, the driver impressed me most, as we arrived on site with our luggage still tied on top of the car.

But this is Romania. Things just work somehow. The conference itself was quite great. Very emotional and sweet. I will never forget a part of the speech:

“Being elected means that you are given a suit. A suit that seems always too big for you.... Now, the time has come and I will give you your suit. ... Here are the votes that elected you.” Mihai Tica (MCP Takeover speech)

This person has impressed me with every day that we interact and I am truly glad to be able to meet him and spend time with him. Mihai, If you ever read this: Thank you.

After the National Congress, we drove back home. This trip also was extraordinary, especially the sights on the way. There seems to be an industry that is part of a service provision to tourists that has the goal of providing everyone that is driving through the deepest forests of the country with countless opportunities to buy Gartenzwerge (garden midgets) and large tin and iron cans, as well as a wide assortment of swimming towels showing naked women. Once I find out why these shops are located in the forests in the mountains where there is absolutely no one to buy these things, I will certainly tell you. I talked to Romanian about this and they have started to wonder was well.

After arriving back in Bucharest I was give the opportunity to be the chairperson for an event of the committee of Bucharest. People remembered me. I felt very welcome, especially as I was officially adopted. I am allowed to go to there delegation meetings and call myself a part of AIESEC BU. I feel this is great honor.

The day after, the transition period really started and I have been working, learning and having meetings all day. I really like being part of something of which the idea I truly regard as relevant.
I am starting to meet my team of vice presidents, the national exchange support team, and the national trainers team. Life is going to be very exciting.

We (eight people) moved into a new apartment. An apartment which is only going to be temporary for one month, but just too cool to be true. A penthouse suite with a large kitchen and 3 rooms. 2 of us sleep on the couch, 2 on an air mattress and another 4 people in two rooms. We are budgeting, as our salary will have to be cut a little due to the crises that is effecting Romania a lot. With about 30% less revenues from corporate relations, we will be facing serious challenges on all levels.

I am looking forward to it while I start getting acquainted with the culture and language. The next time I will write, I will have started to learn Romanian.

Until the next time,

Urs

No comments: